Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Birthday Wishes

My five-year-old is about to become a six-year-old. The other day during dinner she told us what she most wanted in the world for her birthday present.

"I want a robot that will clean up my room and do my chores for me. It doesn't have to be a new robot. It can be old, and it doesn't have to be pretty. It can be an ugly robot too. It just has to clean up my room, that's all."

I didn't have the heart to break it to her that those things might exist in the cartoons that she watches, but not in the real world yet. Roombas notwithstanding.

My other older children had no such compunctions.

"I don't think there is a robot like that," They said.

"Well," said my five-year-old going on six, unperturbed, "Whatever you can get me. It just has to be a clean-bot."

Now I know what to shop for I guess. Do they have one of those ASIMO robots programmed to clean up My Little Pony and Littlest Pet Shop figures yet?

2 comments:

Clay Dugger said...

No, but the Vietnamese robotics firm TOSY is working on it.

Wendy Cooper said...

There is a robot called "Mom". "Mom" gets tired of stepping on the stupid things and picks them up. It's like magic!