Friday, February 2, 2018

Prude?

I've been really getting into funk music recently, both the original stuff from the sixties and seventies and the newer revival stuff. So, I really enjoy Mark Ronson's "Uptown Funk" with Bruno Mars in it, as well as "Feel Right" with Mystikal in it.

I find it funny though that I can't bring myself to get the explicit version of the song. I know it probably makes me super white or something, but I just don't like songs that are an endless stream of profanity. Here's the original, explicit version:

I feel like a complete hypocrite, but I got the clean version of the song. I'm the same guy that rails against anybody who wants to take a filmmakers original concept of a film and cut it down to make sure it doesn't offend somebody's sensibilities, and here I am doing the same with a song. I hate those people like VidAngel, and have complained about their affront against art for years, and then I get the clean version of "Feel Right".

Is it different with music? They made the clean version for squares like me to buy, right? So, it's not the same as some third party eviscerating the things that their sensibilities say shouldn't be allowed, is it? I'm curious, because I honestly don't know.

No comments: