Thursday, March 12, 2020

Skinheads Of The Insect World

My kids were talking about bees and wasps today, and, of course, the quote from the comedian that I remember from back in the eighties came to mind again. "Wasps are the skinheads of the insect world. Wasps will sting ye, even if ye don't annoy them!"

I thought I'd try (in vain) to search out that quote again, so I could share it with the kids. I remember back in 2018, we did our episode about the MCU film Ant-man and the Wasp, and of course I couldn't help but title the episode after that quote. It's a quote that I've brought up on the show several times over the last eleven years. Who knows why it is that the quote stuck in my head so firmly, but anytime anyone mentions the word wasp, then, like a Pavlov's dog, the quote leaps into my brain.

When I searched for the quote, I was surprised to find that four out of the first five entries on the list were various podcatchers pointing to our show. That's pretty cool. Surprisingly, though, was the sixth entry that was a Reddit post that linked to that old comic from the eighties performing the bit. I'd looked for that bit more than once, but not remembering who it was who had done the bit in the first place had limited my effectiveness. Now, some redditor had pointed me right to it, and here it is, marked so that it starts right at the crucial spot:



I was so excited that I had to share it with you. I don't know if this is familiar to you; if you remember this from back then, but check it out. Here, this time I'll set it to start at the beginning.



I was surprised to see that it was Craig Ferguson, the guy who hosted The Late Late Show on CBS from 2005-2014. I guess it was from a much earlier era, when Ferguson was more edgy. I mean his character's name that he's playing in this routine is Bing Hitler (incidentally, a name chosen by his friend Peter Capaldi back in the day). You can't even joke about Hitler anymore, or soup Nazis or any of that stuff. It always surprises me when I find someone who is super-mainstream now but used to be much more edgy back before I knew who they were. Anyway, hope you like the routine.

No comments: