Wednesday, January 6, 2010

2.9

A couple of days ago, Rish and I got together to do our normal podcasting. My computer froze on us halfway through our discussion, losing everything we'd recorded up to that point. I got irritated and depressed and insisted that we were done for the night, so we went out to the living room to watch a movie. Halfway through the director's cut of Watchmen, there was a strange shaking. My whole house sort of vibrated for a short moment. It was no longer than ten seconds, but it sure was weird. First thing that came to mind was that another meteor had come overhead, like the one from a month or so ago, but this time it hit down nearby.

I turned to Rish after it finished. "What the hell was that?"

"I don't know," he said, "Maybe an earthquake?"

We went outside and looked around to see if there was anything else that might have been the cause of the shaking, but it was dead quiet.

The next day I found out that it was an earthquake. 2.9 magnitude earthquake with an epicenter just about four miles from my house.


It's interesting, because I grew up in California. I spent more than twenty years there. I was there when the Loma Prieta earthquake devastated San Francisco, just a few hours east of me, but that night with Rish was the first time I ever felt an earthquake.

No comments: