Sunday, January 3, 2010

Me! No, Me!




So, I finally got out to see The Princess and the Frog yesterday. It's the first Disney princess film with a black heroine. My daughters, of course, loved it. We're not black, but that didn't matter to them. They just identified with the heroine, whatever she may look like.

The main character, Tiana, at the start of the film, is a poor waitress who is only a childhood friend to a rich princess-like white girl. Tiana has big dreams, but hasn't achieved any of them yet. Of course things change eventually, but she's not the princess to begin with.

It really cracked me up on the way home from the theater as my two girls fought with each other in the back seat. They were playing princess with each other, and they were arguing about who got to be the princess...but in a different way than you might think.

"I get to be the waitress!" One shouted.

"No, you don't I get to be the waitress. You have to be the princess!"


No comments: