Thursday, April 26, 2012

A Pattern?

One of my favorite bands is Paramore. I was introduced to them by chance back in 2008, when I needed music to go with a roller derby video I was doing. I listened to their CD Riot until it got so hot in my player it melted. I was already hooked on the band before I ever saw who they were and what they looked like. Their lead singer, Hayley Williams, looks like this:

I thought her having bright red hair was probably a wise thing to do. There's so many thousands of people wanting to be rock stars out there. Standing out, however you do it, is important. Just in case you were wondering, the Paramore song that got me hooked was this one:

Perhaps their best song of all, so good that it was the first that I heard.

Years later, I was listening to Pandora. I went to see Moneyball with Rish, and really enjoyed the song, "The Show," that the daughter sings on it. I had a station created playing stuff that was similar to that song, and one of the first songs that popped up was by an artist known as A Fine Frenzy. The song was awesome, and I became a fast fan of hers.

It wasn't until later that I saw what she looked like:

Interesting, huh? She was another redhead too. Bright red. Really similar to Hayley Williams, and I hadn't known that until I'd already become enamored of her music.

Oh, the song that got me hooked on her? Here it is:

Then, just the other day, I saw something online comparing Paramore with a new band called Cherri Bomb. I'm a fan of The Runaways, so a band called Cherri Bomb caught my interest right away. Then, compare them to Paramore, and I can't help but check them out.

Well, I watched a video of theirs on YouTube. It was a black and white video, and it was a pretty good song. So, I picked up their EP, and listened to it a bunch of times. I liked them. They reminded me of older rock from the eighties like Motley Crue, only this was an all girl band.

I looked on YouTube again, to see if they had any other videos, and found one in color this time. There, right in the middle of the band, banging on the drums, was another one:

That is Nia Lovelis, the drummer.

So, what I wonder is, do I have a thing for girls with bright red hair? Or is it just a coincidence? I didn't know that any of them were redheads until after becoming fans of their music. So, it's probably just coincidence right?

Now, don't get me wrong, I do think hair like that is attractive, but only if it looks right, and is on an attractive girl, not on its own merits.

Does anyone else think this kind of red hair is hot/pretty?

Maybe I'm like Stan Lee, who has to have a redheaded bombshell in every comic he creates. Maybe it's just that hair dying techniques have improved in the last while, and doing your hair like this is feasible, and less likely to result in disaster. Maybe the kind of people who would consider dying their hair this way are also the kind of people who would make music I like. Who knows?

But there definitely is a pattern.

1 comment:

Joe Camel said...

Not a coincidence. Red headed women often man incredible amazing musicians. Tori Amos, Kate Bush, Jenny Lewis, Kate Nash.