Saturday, January 30, 2021

Winter's Bayou

I found out that there was a great big hiking trail nearby called the Lone Star Trail that runs for more than one hundred miles through the Sam Houston National Forest. I've been wanting to hike one of the legs of the trail for a long time, but have never managed to get out and do it so far. It's only a thirty minute drive to the closest leg, and yet I still haven't checked it out yet.

Well, today that changed. We drove up to Cleveland (not the one in Ohio, there's a town called Cleveland up the freeway from us), and went for a walk on the Winter's Bayou section of the trail.

It was a nice hike. I'm sure the trail is much more beautiful in the spring or summer, when it's more lush and green...or in the autumn when the leaves are a riot of colors. However, the weather wasn't nearly as hot this weekend, so we did have that advantage.

Here's a shot of the best scenery we saw while we were there. I probably should have taken more pictures.

Come spring, it'll be ten times prettier. Rish Outfield challenged me to make a goal of going on at least one hike a month this year, so I'll probably be back for more, and will be able to give you some pictures of that improved scenery. Maybe I'll bring along my big camera to get better shots as well.

No comments: