Sunday, June 20, 2021

Father's Day

I was really excited about Fathers Day this year, and it was all for one reason. As Fathers Day approached, My wife asked me what I wanted to do for dinner. I've been on track with my fasting and carnivore way of eating recently, bringing my blood sugar down from astronomical to a normal level...

Before

After

So, I wasn't about to blow it by having some kind of dessert like cheesecake or fudge, as much as my addiction to sweets makes me want to. It's hard to celebrate sometimes when you can't have sweets. That's all my celebrations have been about for all of my life, changing that paradigm is going to take some work.

This Fathers Day was the first step down that road, however. There are things I've long wanted to eat, but never have. For example, this:

That is a tomahawk ribeye steak. It's a massive piece of meat, nearly two pounds, almost two inches thick. If you zoom on the label, you'll see why I've never gotten it before. It was very expensive, but a good way to celebrate on rare occasions.

We bought the steak at Costco on Saturday morning, and the rest of the day and all of Sunday morning I was looking forward to it. Unfortunately, it wasn't for breakfast, it was for dinner, so I had a while to wait.

My wife made a nice carnivore breakfast for me to eat, though, with bacon, eggs, and ham...and some banana pancakes for those of us in the family who just can't handle going a meal without carbohydrates. It was a great meal, not a two-pound tomahawk ribeye steak, but still pretty good. We'd get there. 

Next they gave me some presents. They started with this card.

No, your eyes aren't playing tricks on you. It is actually comically large. They probably got it for me because I've gotten so darn fat that a regular card would look miniature and silly in my hands. More reason to double my efforts on that carnivore eating.

Next I got a flag pole and mount.

Jeez that's a terrible picture of me. Do I look like that? I don't even recognize myself. I miss the skinny me from 2019. Another reason to double my efforts staying away from carbs.

I love flags. I got a bunch of flags from the kids for Christmas this year, now I have the pole to be able to fly them outside. I'm going to attach it to one of our trees (a lot of people do that here, because everyone's house is made of brick, so it's very difficult to mount it to the house). In fact, I'll include a picture of how it came out.

Ooh, looks pretty cool, huh? I love it.

Last present was this shirt:

It's a fun shirt, and very carnivore-centric, so I love it. This whole post has been really carnivore-centric...and there is, of course, more to come. We still haven't made it to the tomahawk steak.

We spent the afternoon watching the new Pixar movie on Disney+ together. I used to be one of the world's biggest Pixar fans. I loved everything they put out. Sadly, their golden age has passed, and their movies are much more hit and miss than they used to be.

This new movie, Luca, wasn't bad, but it wasn't that great either. Too bad. I hope Pixar can rise to greatness again someday. What I wouldn't give for a movie that speaks to me as much as Wall-E or Finding Nemo did.

After the movie, it was finally time for dinner. Because my steak was so thick, we decided to cook it with the reverse sear method. You put it in the oven at a low temperature for a while to make sure the middle isn't left raw, then sear the outside so that it has that crust that you're looking for on a steak.

After it had been in the oven for a while, I took it, and the steaks for the rest of the family (they got plain old sirloin), out to the barbecue. I put them on, and came in for a moment while they cooked. When I went back out, I was alarmed to see smoke coming out of the barbecue.

I pulled the lid open, and a huge gout of flames poured out. Nothing was wrong with the barbecue. It was just that the ribeye steak had much more fat in it than the usual steaks we buy, and that fat had melted and dripped down into the barbecue. The fat ignited, and was burning as much as if there were several extra burners in the barbecue. My steak wasn't ruined, but it was more cooked than I wanted it to be.

I grabbed the spatula and quickly flipped it, along with the rest of the steaks, then only a moment later, pulled them off the grill. All was not lost, but this steak wasn't likely to be as perfect as I had dreamed, unfortunately. It still looked pretty good, though.

Looks amazing on that plate, doesn't it? It takes up the whole thing. Crazy.

We all sat down to eat, and I did my darnedest to eat that whole thing.

I didn't succeed, however. I nearly did. I'd say I managed to eat about 2/3 of the steak, maybe 3/4. I'll have to eat the rest as leftovers later this week. It was pretty darn good, but I do think I managed to overcook it out on the barbecue...or possibly in the oven before it even went out to the barbecue. It was my first time with this thick of a steak; I'm definitely not an expert.

All the same, it was a wonderful day. I felt appreciated as a father, and got to celebrate in a healthy way that wasn't going to send my blood sugar back into the stratosphere like the cake that the rest of the family ate would have.

No comments: