Saturday, April 27, 2024

Morr Berks!

 

I'm back with more talk of my book collection, and I'm starting to think that it might not be a good idea to perpetuate this series of posts. I'll talk more about that later.

Back in 2013 or 2014, I was looking for good books to listen to on my commute, but I didn't know what the best place to go to for legit recommendations might be. Then I had an idea. I should see what the nominations for the Hugo Awards were, and maybe they'd have something I would like. I looked at the finalists for best novel from the last few years and that's where I found Leviathan Wakes by James S.A. Corey.

I listened to the audiobook, read by Jefferson Mays, and absolutely loved it. I quickly went on to read the sequel, Caliban's War, and then that sequel's sequel, Abaddon's Gate. I was very much a fan from there on out. I read each book as they came out from there, and was super excited when they announced a TV show on SyFy based on the property.

I wanted to collect the series, but the series wasn't a big deal when it first came out, so it didn't get wide release and I couldn't get a hold of a hardcover version to put on my shelf. I pretty much only collect hardcover, but if I remember right, it was because of The Expanse that I decided it was okay to collect paperback...as long as they're trade paperback-size books that look good on a shelf next to a hardback book.

So, here is my collection of The Expanse books so far.

Is it impressive, not really. They're the cheap, basic versions of the books, but I love the books so much that I wanted to have something, anything of them on my shelf.

One time, Rish Outfield found Leviathan Wakes in hardcover at a used book store, and he bought it. I was hoping to convince him to hand it over to me, but when he looked on eBay, and saw just how much he could get for it, he sold it and filled a bathtub with gold coins and rolled around in them instead.

It looks like they are reissuing the books in hardback now, but eight books in, I'm too invested to switch over now. So, I won't go there. I do still have two books to acquire, though. The final book of the series, Leviathan Falls, has been out for a while, as well as a collection of supplemental novellas and short stories that Corey wrote for the series called, Memory's Legion, as well (and yes, I know James S.A. Corey doesn't exist but is actually a pseudonym for a team of writers, but it's easier to refer to him this way).

Writing this series of posts may be bad for my pocketbook, though, because when I decided to write this post, it reminded me that I still didn't have all of the books that are available yet, and that I ought to get another one. So I did. I just ordered Leviathan Falls on Amazon, when I probably should have waited. Oops. I think the same thing happened with my toy posts too. The more you focus on something, the more of a priority it becomes. I need to focus on writing and publishing my own stuff instead. Maybe I can post about that tomorrow.

No comments: