Saturday, August 8, 2015

A Clean Garage!

Our plans for the weekend fell through, so we had an unexpectedly free Saturday. We'd been meaning to work on the garage for a long time, so we decided to go after it.

First of all, was to clear out all the mess. That took quite a while, but once we got there, we really started to get going.

My wife had acquired some leftover peg board from her work, and had big plans to finally put all our tools somewhere they could be found quickly and easily. We mounted them on the wall, and she started putting all the tools on...


...but she had other plans for me. She wanted a workbench to go on the wall right under the peg boards. Now, we've built a great deal of wooden furniture in our days. Back when we first got married, it was kind of our thing. We'd build bookshelves or a changing table ourselves rather than try to buy them. But, one thing I learned through all that is that it never quite works out how I want. There's always issues. The table is always a little wobbly. I always do something stupid that leaves an unsightly mark on it. So, when my wife asked me to make this workbench, I frowned quite deeply in anticipation of how I'd screw it up.

There was a tiny setback when my frame got knocked on the ground, and the screws ripped out of the wood. But I got back to it, re-attached the screws, and forged forward, and strangely, everything worked out. The workbench came together without any real problems. And it was level, and sturdy, and good. There's that saying that every dog has his day, and I guess it was just my day today.

I think it turned out really well.


After finishing that, it was time to get the canoe out of the way. My wife had bought a pulley system that we could use to hang it from the ceiling. It was a bit of a pain to put up, and the instructions were pretty unclear, so the ropes may not actually be threaded through there correctly, but I got the canoe hung up.


I just hope it never decided to fall and smash our cars or something. After all, it was me that tied the knots, so there surely not very good.


But there it is. When we were done, we had a space that we could use. my wife can park her car inside, and once summer's over and the bikes go back to the basement, I'll be able to park my car there too. It's been a while since we could do that.

No comments: