Saturday, November 19, 2016

Dishwasher II: Revenge Of The Palmolive

A while back, I posted about a strange, soothing sentimental feeling that I got washing dishes by hand. Handwashing became necessary when our dishwasher broke, and I was shocked to find that I kind of liked it. It's been several months now, though, and I've finally remembered why it is that I don't like washing dishes by hand. When you have to wash dishes by hand, the kitchen always looks like this:


Dirty dishes everywhere. Always a mess. I might find it soothing to wash dishes by hand, but it stops being that way when every time I do dishes it takes at least an hour. Everyone hates washing dishes, so they avoid it if at all possible. So, the dishes pile up...and up and up. I'm sick of it.

When I was a young man, and there were four of us living at home with my dad, we assigned certain days of the week to each person as their day to do dishes. The caveat was that if you didn't do them on your day, they were still yours to do the next day, and the day after that, until you finally did them. I loved it, because my little brother always slacked, so my day became his day more often than not.

But now, as a parent, I can't handle the house being in that condition. It's just not a situation I enjoy.

As soon as I told my wife about my change of mind, she immediately started looking for dishwashers. I think she'd been sick of it for much longer, and was only holding off because I'd said that I kind of liked it. She found a great Black Friday price on a dishwasher, and it will be delivered to the house next week.

Unfortunately, I've got to hook it up, so we may be doing dishes by hand for a while longer while I try to figure out how to do that.

No comments: