Thursday, November 24, 2016

Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving was at my sister's house this year. My wife and I both had the day off...sort of. She actually had to work, but it was a special overnight thing. Instead of her usual shift, they started at 10:00 PM. So, she got home much earlier than she normally would, and was able to get some sleep before it was time to head over to eat.

We had our usual turkey, and all the fixings to go with it. As well as the usual astounding variety of pies. I shouldn't have eaten any, considering my diabetes, but I did anyway. I've been pretty bad as of late. I'm sure it's shortening my lifespan, but I have a hard time saying no. I just like that stuff too much.

After dinner, everyone planned out their day after shopping trips. For several years now, Day After Thanksgiving Day sales have been held on the day of Thanksgiving. The only thing we really wanted this year was a great deal we found on a Canon EOS Rebel T6i at Kohl's. I've been wanting a DSLR camera ever since I got the chance to use my brother-in-law's camera when we took family pictures in Canada years ago. The pictures just come out so much better. I'd really like to be able to have something like that for pictures of our family adventures. It would certainly improve the quality of this blog, for example.

So, we went over to Kohl's, which would be opening at 6:00 PM for crazy people like us to brave the crowds in search of deals.

I've gone shopping for Day After Thanksgiving several times over the years, and every time things have turned out well somehow. Not this time however. The doors opened, and I dashed to the corner of the store that the guy manning the door told me would contain the camera we were after. I ran all the way there, despite all sorts of people giving me dirty looks for taking it this far. I made it to where the electronics sales were being kept, and started looking for the camera. But I wasn't seeing it. A moment later, my wife, who came in behind me told me that the last one was gone. She'd located the camera in the mess of various sales available, but as she'd gone to grab it, another man had snatched the last one before she could get to it. We'd failed. I was pretty bummed.

Kohl's doesn't need to be bummed, though. The camera did what it was supposed to do. It got us in the store. We wandered around for a while, loathe to just walk away empty handed. We ended up finding several things that we wanted to buy for Christmas presents, and spent a lot of money. So, way to go Kohl's. You win this time, you bastards.

No comments: