Monday, July 13, 2020

Better Than A Gardener

Several posts ago, I wrote about my saga of trying to feed the birds in our backyard, but only winding up feeding the squirrels. I thought I ought to share this addition to the story.

I have always enjoyed growing sunflowers in our yard. We used to do it a lot before we moved:



But since coming to Texas, I have been completely unsuccessful. My flowers die off before they even get to be a foot tall.

The messy squirrels, however, have more gardening skill than me, it seems, because the seeds they spread onto the ground around the bird feeder have sprouted, grown, and, now this week, flowered. I didn't water them or anything, yet they survived to full size. Makes a guy want to give up on everything when a complete accident turns out better than anything he tries to do on purpose. Behold:



I bet the proverbial infinite monkeys on typewriters would probably write better books than what I've been working on all this time as well.

No comments: