Friday, July 17, 2020

Tru Dat

I went to Aldi the other day, and I saw this on the post out in front of the store.


I had to stop and grab a picture of it.


I just thought it was pretty cool. I've seen dozens upon dozens of signs lauding the doctors in the hospitals who are coming into work every day, and caring for those of us who have contracted the Coronavirus and are in need of medical attention. They're pretty commonplace.

But I've never seen a sign made to thank any of the other everyday heroes that are out there, braving the conditions to make sure that all the rest of us can survive this crisis as well. It was a little frightening when all this started to realize that our society, which has hummed along with barely a hiccup my entire life, is actually pretty fragile.

The meat shortage that we had about a month ago demonstrates it pretty well. There's a chain of things that bring our food to the grocery stores, and if a link in the chain breaks, then we may well all go hungry.

I felt similar gratitude during the devastation of Hurricane Harvey, and this is an even more widespread disaster. So, I join in with Aldi in saying thanks to the grocery store workers who show up to work to provide us all with something to eat day after day. Also thanks to the truckers who drove the food to the store, so the grocery store workers had something to put on the shelves for us. And to the factory workers who packed that food up for us, and the farmers and ranchers that raised the food for us. And so on down the line. I don't know if I could even name all the links in the chain, but I want to say thanks to them all. You know who you are. I'm thanking you.

No comments: