Wednesday, May 10, 2023

Toy Overload, Part 5

Okay, this is the last one.

While I was on the phone with Rish, telling him that my daughter was about to drive back to Texas from college, he happened to be in a store looking at the clearance figures they had.

"They have a Dune figure that you might like for your space station," he said, and sent me this picture.

It was a ReAction Figure, which, if you don't know, are new figures made to look as though they were made by Kenner at the same time that they were making those original Star Wars figures. Generally I hate those things. Why make a figure look crappier than it needs to? These days they can make amazingly detailed figures even in a scale as small as 3.75 inch.

However, the figure wasn't bad as it was, and also, I'd seen this photo only days before on Empire Toy Works Instagram.

Adding some silly things like these into the mix on the space station would be fun, and you never know, with some work and a little love I might possible be able to make the figure look passable.

Besides, they were on deep clearance, so why not, right? Rish said they had Paul Atreides and Baron Harkonnen as well, and I told him to grab one of each.

They're pretty cheap looking figures, but then again, they were pretty cheap. 


I'll mess with them, adding washes and drybrushing to see if I can't make them look a little better. If nothing else, they can be back in the background, where you wouldn't see their details anyway. They're fun anyway.

There's other ReAction figures out there that I'd be willing to buy for the space station. Particularly, I want the Conky figure from Pee Wee's Playhouse.

He'd be a funny droid to add to the more standard R2-D2s and IG-88s on the station. Or similarly, the E.T. figure they did would be a good alien to add.

That's the best part about ReAction figures. They have every property imaginable, so you can get a figure of anything you want. Though, sadly, it's generally a substandard figure.

1 comment:

Rish Outfield said...

I saw two more Kyle McLachlans today on clearance, but I didn't buy them. Maybe I should have, and you could've put a Squid Head or Nikto head on them.