Friday, April 5, 2019

Writing Powers


Still going on the writing thing. I managed to only get in 271 words today, but that's nothing to sneeze at, I am told. It is better than nothing, which is what I usually do, so there is that.

The story I'm working on is one that I started back in December. If I remember right, and I probably don't, Rish challenged me to write a Christmas story that we could use for the show. He was going to do the same thing.

I thought maybe we could make it a Broken Mirror kind of thing. I had an idea of what I wanted to build my story around...I tried to take the idea back to a really basic, generic starting point, and submit it to Rish as a story prompt. I just scrolled back through my text messages and found the (admittedly crap) story prompt that I gave him:

He/she considered himself/herself a deal hound, a master at finding high value at a low price, and couldn't help but jump at the chance to get this particular Christmas item at such a low cost, but when he/she got home with it, he/she realized that something was wasn't right, and soon, he/she wished he/she had never seen that deal at all.

Okay, it's a little too long, probably. And the constant he/she thing is a bit irritating, but I wanted to make sure not to force his thinking in any particular direction for the character. Maybe I could have said they instead. That seems to be the generally agreed upon colloquial gender neutral pronoun these days. Let's see.

They considered themself a deal hound, a master at finding high value at a low price, and couldn't help but jump at the chance to get this particular Christmas item at such a low cost, but when they got home with it, they realized that something was wasn't right, and soon, they wished they had never seen that deal at all.

I don't know. It's less cumbersome, for sure, but it also makes me think that there has to be multiple main characters instead of just one. Also, spell check informs me that themself is not a word. I suppose I am expected to write themselves, but that definitely makes it into a plural main characters situation.

Anyway. That was my suggestion as we started into writing these stories. Rish finished his months ago...but still not in time for a Christmas episode of The Dunesteef. I am presently 3,220 words into my story. 1,359 of which I have added in the last three days. So, this is definitely a positive experiment when it comes to this story. It shouldn't take too many more days to finish the story off at this pace. And then you will be able to look forward to my story, The Christmas Creature, this December. That'd be cool, right?

Words Today: 271
Words Total: 1359

No comments: