Saturday, May 30, 2020

Another Milestone

I'll have a post in a day or two about the month of May, and how it went, but here a little spoiler for you, it went just great.

Today, I'm on here to tell you that I hit another cool milestone on my way toward my goal of 300,000 words in my 45th year of life...or wait, in my 46th year of life? I turn 46 on my birthday this year, does that mean that this is my 46th year? I think so, because zero to one year old is you first year of life. I guess that's why were living in the 21st century. Math is hard. Is this math? Or just counting? Or just semantics?

Speaking of math, my writing numbers have added up to a pretty significant number. Two days ago, I noticed that I was getting perilously close to 200,000 words for the year. I did the math...on a calculator, and found that I needed to write 1301 words to get there. I vowed to make it the next day. I've had several 1300 word days this month already, so it should be possible if not easy.

Yesterday was a crazy day, however. Here in Houston there was a big protest over the murder of George Floyd in Minneapolis. George Floyd was a Houston native who only recently moved to Minnesota, so a lot of people that live here knew him personally.

The protests got a little out of hand in some places, and resulted in some intense news coverage. I didn't get my usual lunch break to write yesterday, so I was way behind. Not only that, but it was at least thirty minutes later than my usual out time that I left for home.

So, I got home and it was already past midnight. I sat down to write anyway, and worked until my eyes were burning, desperate for sleep. I my wordcount, and I was at 1386. Huzzah! I made it!


200,000. Luckily I didn't have to stay up to write a few more paragraphs, because I was pretty spent.

So, I'm 2/3 of the way there. There are 150 days left till my birthday. In that time, I have to get another 100,000 words. If I stick to my goal of 1,000 words a day, then I should surpass that by at least 50,000 words. It feels good to be cruising along.

No comments: