Saturday, May 16, 2020

It's Dookie!

One of the first thing that Rish Outfield and I connected with back when we met in college was a mutual enjoyment of that goofy moment in "No Holds Barred" when Hulk Hogan beats up a bunch of guys, then finally comes for the guy in the car that they were all protecting. He rips the door off the car, and lifts the guy up by his lapels, and then notices the stink.

"What's that smell?" Hulk demands.

And in one of the greatest performances of modern cinema, the guy wails, "It's dookie!"

My description can't do it justice. Here, watch for yourself:



We've quoted that line back and forth to each other for more than twenty years now.

I just found a gem from the archives the other day. I've been going through all the old things that I've saved over the years and trying to scan them so that I have them readily available if I ever want to see them. I'm a memory pack rat. I save cards, ticket stubs, drawings my kids made, and a million other things too.

Letters are one of the things I like to hold onto, and while I was digging through a box of things, I found a letter from Rish from the days when he lived in L.A. and I lived in Sacramento. Sometimes we sent stories back and forth to each other. We mostly did it by email, but on occasion stories with notes in the margins or the like were actually mailed, and I found one of these letters from Rish that I had saved.

He'd sent me notes on a little kids' book that I'd written for my toddler son (the same kid that we had a birthday party for last night, who is now twenty years old, and a behemoth of a human being, making Big Anklevich look like Mini Anklevich). Along with those notes, he sent me this classic little hand drawn comic. Behold:


You see? This is the whole reason that I'm a memory pack rat. What can be more fun than digging through papers in an old box and finding something like this?

2 comments:

Rish Outfield said...

I'm not sure I have the heart to tell you that I've never seen NO HOLDS BARRED, and the only reason we bonded over that was that I was so amused by your retelling of the scene. I use the "It's dooooooookie" clip in pretty much every other episode of Delusions of Grandeur.

Big Anklevich said...

I've never seen the movie either. I just happened to be channel surfing one time when it was on right during that scene, and I was so horrified by the clip. I had to spread the warning far and wide.