Saturday, September 9, 2023

10K 2: The Electric Boogaloo

I was supposed to run a six-miler as my weekend run this week. When I got to the three-mile point, the halfway there spot where I turn around and go back, I thought, "I might as well do an extra tenth of a mile so that it will be another 10K." So, I did.

I also tried hard to increase my pace this time around. Compare it to last week.

I brought my pace down by 41 seconds per mile. That's pretty good...not as good as I was hoping. It was better earlier on, and then flagged at the end, slipping down below 16:00 minutes per mile. Which was a bummer. I was very tired there at the end, though.

Runkeeper tried to make me feel like I accomplished something big, though. It always gives me these little badges when I do something that can be classified as impressive...at least if you're not paying too much attention to what it says. For example, I got this:

For someone who has been running a long time, and has done dozens of 10Ks, this might mean something. For me, of course, who has done two, it's not as big of a deal. My fastest 10k! I beat out all the others to be slightly faster. Wahoo!

It was very generous with the badges today, though. So I got this one too:

Yeah, baby! Oh, I guess not as great after all. That just means that I didn't beat out last week's 10K, in which I actually ran 6.33 miles because I was desperately trying to get my pace back under 17:00 per mile to hide my shame at being so slow. Still long though.

I also got this badge:

2nd fastest in the 5-7 mile range. That seems like it could be good, except that I've only done three in the 5-7 mile range. Also, if you look at the info there at the bottom, it says that my pace was 1:46 slower than my fastest five mile run. That was the one I did with my sister when I went out to visit Rish Outfield. We ran five miles, and because I was with her, I went way faster than normal. That's a pace that I'll probably never even come close to. But thanks for reminding me, Runkeeper.

No comments: