Sunday, February 21, 2021

Piece Of Cake

It was my daughter's birthday and I had to share her cake with you. It was a pretty special cake:

Doesn't it look great?

My wife and my older daughter give my younger daughter a hard time. They always joke with her about loving unicorns. They say it's her spirit animal, and anytime they see something with a unicorn on it, they ask her if she wants it.

Thing is, she doesn't like unicorns at all. They're fine and all, but if she had to choose a spirit animal, she'd probably go with a fox. She really likes foxes a lot.

Doesn't matter. They keep doing it, and she always gives them enough of a reaction that they do it again next time.

So, when my wife saw these birthday candles that looked like unicorn ears and a horn, she had to buy them.

Inside, the cake was rainbow-colored:


I bet you didn't know that unicorns were actually made of rainbows.

More importantly, though, were those pink layers. That was strawberry ice cream. My daughter asked for an ice cream cake this year. She's always preferred ice cream to cake, so this time, we went ahead and combined them for her.

Let me give you a couple more shots of it to finish off the post so that you can see how nice the mane looks. My wife and older daughter did that icing. I don't know about you, but I was really impressed. It looks so pretty. I feel like My Little Pony just jumped out of the TV and...onto my plate. Am I eating horse?



We talked a lot about where this cake ranks among the best cakes we've made over the years. The unicorn could be top five, but let me see if I can show you the ones that probably come in before it. We decided that the number one cake was the dragon that we made for her birthday party in 2012.

Then number two, I insisted was the Barbie Cinderella cake my wife made in 2006.

The robot cake from 2016 is pretty definitely in third.

But after that, I think it gets pretty nebulous. It could be several different cakes. The football from 2002?

The snake from 2013?

The Captain America cake I did in 2017?

The race track in the shape of the number 2 from 2014?

Or maybe Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi battling in front of a volcano from 2006?

Or maybe that very unicorn you saw on this post today? It's pretty hard to say. What's your vote?

We've done a lot of good cakes over the years, and the cute little unicorn is taking its place alongside them.

No comments: