Saturday, July 31, 2021

Biggy in the Sky with Diamonds

My daughter has been a big fan of the Beatles for about the last ten years. I gave her some CDs of the band's greatest hits, and she spun them on a permanent loop in her bedroom for a pretty long while, before asking me to get more Beatles songs to listen to.

I recently found out that the famous Houstonian sculptor, David Adickes, known for his large-scale statues like the Sam Houston statue in Huntsville...

Or the Stephen F. Austin statue in Angleton...

Yeah, that guy has a giant statue of the Fab Four at a brewery in Houston. When I heard that, I realized that I had to show it to my daughter before she went off to college.

We headed downtown. Right outside the brewery is another big statue that's kind of famous in Houston, you know, because people like to pose in front of it to show their city pride.

Problem is that it's so big that it's hard to even see who's standing underneath it. I tried to get a shot where you could see my face, but it didn't work out so well.

The Beatles statue is on the patio area of the brewery. We walked in, and cruised straight through and out the back door to the yard. Since I had three underage kids with me, I figured I shouldn't stick around inside. We were there for a particular reason, and it wasn't what was on tap at the bar.

We walked over to the corner of the yard, and found the Fab Four waiting for us there.

They are some really big statues, but I guess they only reflect how large those four loom in our culture.

No comments: