Thursday, July 15, 2021

Ultimates

Super7 just announced that they will be making a line of GI Joe Ultimates. They should look something like this:

It's really, really cartoon accurate, but it's just not for me. It's funny, I can't quite say why. I loved the cartoon, so you would think that anything that references the cartoon would be good in my book.

With some lines, like the Thundercats or the Transformers, I want to be exactly like they were in the cartoon. But GI Joe isn't that way for me.

Maybe it's because my Platonian ideal for GI Joe isn't the cartoon, it's actually the toys, which were more detailed than the cartoons.

What I really want from GI Joe is a highly detailed figure that sticks relatively faithfully to the design of the old figures/cartoons. I don't mind a little updating, but I don't want a lot.

This Duke is a little too plain for me, but the Classified Duke would look better if it was a little more faithful like this one is.

Of course, the price point of $55 per figure with the Super7 Ultimates is the real deterrent. Classified is $20, so I'm going to stick with them, even if there's a few design elements I could do without.

Besides, it looks like Classified is finally getting it. You can see that by the designs of Lady Jaye and Flint.


No comments: