Monday, July 19, 2021

New Name

The Washington Redskins fought against the calls for them to change their name for a long time. I remember people protesting outside the Super Bowl in 1992. They stuck with it until sentiment absolutely forced them to change, and I think that was a big mistake...not that they changed. I think they should have done that long ago. The mistake was that they waited so long.

They have to pick a new name, but all the good names are taken. They're going to wind up with one of those absolutely crappy names that they have in leagues that start up these days like Major League Soccer, Major League Rugby or this Lacrosse game I saw on TV today.

The Adversaries vs. the Defenders. Yikes. The Washington Football Team is going to end up with a name like that.

Personally, I think they should take one of those names that's not used in the NFL but is widely used in college sports and may possibly belong to a pro team in a different league. They should be the Wildcats or the Tigers or something like that.

I mean, there's a Giants in baseball and football. There's a Jets in hockey and football. Up until the nineties there was an Oilers in hockey and football. Shouldn't be a problem, right?

Although, maybe that's not allowed anymore. Business folks guard their intellectual property much more fiercely these days than they used to back in the early days of the 20th century when those names were given to their teams.

All I can say is that I don't look forward to whatever the name turns out to be. I'm sure it will be crap. But that's okay, Washington isn't my team, so they can continue to suck like they've sucked for about thirty years now...just under a new sucky name.

No comments: