Sunday, October 3, 2021

Not Finished After All?

I told y'all in my last post that I was finished with my bookshelves on the one side. Totally done. But then something happened.

We went to a garage sale across the street from our house, and our neighbor had two Ikea Billy CD towers. If you didn't know, my whole bookshelves are Ikea Billy bookshelves, so these CD towers match perfectly with my present setup.

On top of that, I have a narrow little area between the wall and the bookshelves I could fill:

Ever since we set up the bookshelves in my study when we moved out here four years ago, I've thought that one of those CD towers might fit in here nicely. There were two problems though. They cost $40 or so a piece, which wouldn't be that big of a deal, but they also didn't make extensions for the CD tower to make it go all the way to the ceiling like I'd used for the other shelves. If I was going to try to fill in that tiny little spot, I would have to buy two towers, and cut the top off of one to make it into an extension.

That didn't seem worth the risk, so I just figured I would live with the open space. But then we found someone trying to unload the CD towers at a garage sale. They were in great shape, the same color as my bookshelves, and, here's the clincher, they only wanted $1 for each tower.

I bought the towers to fit in that spot for $2. They fit great in that little section:

And, I have two of them, so I can cut the top off of one, and use it as the extension.

Now, I just have to avoid effing it up. I'm going to have to cut the top off with our Skil Saw, making two separate cuts, one on each side, that line up evenly. Hopefully I can manage that. It would suck if I screwed it up, and the extension leaned to one side or the other. Measure twice cut once as they say.

This will give me another whole section of ceiling to floor space to put toys. I could put some books in there as well, but the CD towers aren't as deep as the regular bookshelves, so the books don't fit quite right. Paperbacks would fit in there pretty well though. We'll see.

2 comments:

Dave the former Texican. said...

You can clamp (or screw to the part you're not using) on a guide for the saw. In fact you could buy. 4' piece of 1x2 pine or poplar at Lowes and screw it on all 3 sides all lined up

Dave the former Texican. said...

Set back enough to run let the blade sit where you want