Sunday, May 26, 2024

Somebody Somewhere Along The Line Was Careless

I was at Sam's Club the other day to get some eggs. They have pasture-raised eggs for a great price there, so I exclusively buy them from Sam's Club. That's about the only thing we ever buy there, but I eat so many eggs that it makes the entire price of the membership worth it...except on days like yesterday.

They were all out of pasture-raised eggs yesterday. That is the second week in a row they haven't had them. Each time they run out, it takes them several weeks to get more in, and I'm always worried that they may just never come back. I'm afraid they'll stop carrying them, and the whole reason we bought the membership will be moot.

Although I'm super picky, and almost never eat anything but the pasture-raised ones, I looked at the other egg options they had there, just in case. I came to their boxes of five dozen super cheap eggs. These are the ones where they keep the chickens in a pen, never let them out, and feed them the worst possible feed, so they're almost nutrition-free. I generally don't even bother to look at these eggs, but they were more interesting than usual this day. Check out this pallet of egg boxes.

Normally, a box that looks like this would be no big deal, but those are eggs. There are sixty eggs inside each one of those boxes, and they're the cheap eggs, so the shells are as weak as they can possibly be. What's the over under on how many eggs are actually intact in those boxes?

The whole pallet was like that.

Yikes. What's worse, is that they're in such a bulk package that you can't open them an check at all, either. You just have to buy them and roll the dice. Somebody actually pried one of them open.

You can guess what they found by the fact that it's the one box with egg yolk on the outside of it. The inside is probably several inches deep with dried up raw eggs.

I suspect that those boxes of eggs are going to sit unloved until they have to throw them all out because they're past their sell by date...unless Sam's Club realizes what they've put out for their customers to choose from and takes them away early. But, from my past experience, Sam's Club don't give a shit what their customer's experience is like. That place is a friggin' disaster every time I go there. If it weren't for the pasture-raised eggs, I'd wash my hands of the place and never go back.

No comments: