Friday, December 30, 2022

Why Not?

I was at Ross the other day, and by chance I happened to look in the clothes section. I almost never do. I just go in, check out the toys, and leave. This time I did, however, and a shirt caught my eye.

I took a closer look, and realized that it was a hockey sweater. In fact, it was a throwback jersey from the the late 80s and early 90s, back when I really got into hockey, and watched a fair amount of it. 

In those days, I had several favorite teams. I loved the Hartford Whalers, the Minnesota North Stars, and the New Jersey Devils. All of them had cool logos and good looking uniforms. I would have happily worn a hockey sweater from any one of those teams.

Wouldn't you know it, thirty years later, and here it was right in front of me. A New Jersey Devils sweater, and a throwback to the design and colors they used when I liked the team. I looked at the price tag, and it was only $20. I'm pretty sure these things usually sell for around $100. If nothing else, I might be able to sell it on eBay for a tidy profit.

So, I thought, why not? And I bought it. I took it home and put it on, and it fit perfectly...although, speaking of "why not?" I think I look like I'm trying to wear a Kevin Smith costume.

I probably wouldn't wear it much, but it was only $20, so I wasn't wasting too much money. I wore it to the space center this week. That's something.

It's not bad, although I'd still really love to get a Whalers or a North Stars sweater. I preferred both of those teams to New Jersey.

A few years later in the 90s, I settled on an actual favorite team. The Whalers and the North Stars no longer existed, moving to Carolina and Dallas respectively and changing their names. Another team that moved was the Quebec Nordiques. They came to Denver and became the Colorado Avalanche. They were really good, and they were the closest professional team to the city I was living in while attending college.

When I went up to Canada to visit my wife the first time (back before she was my wife), I decided I had to get a hockey jersey, I mean, when in Rome... So, when she took me to the West Ed Mall, I bought an Avalanche jersey.

Of course, if I really wanted to do the when in Rome thing, I should have gotten an Oilers sweater. It's all right. At the time, I think the Oilers had some shitty updated design on their jerseys, so it was better that I didn't get that garbage.

So, that was a useless and all too extended history of the hockey sweaters that I liked and have owned. If you're still reading, I'm sorry to have wasted so much of your time. Get back to life, and forget you ever bothered to read about my Kevin Smith costume.

No comments: