Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Day 20 Of March

Rish and I got together last night, and instead of going straight over to the Wendy's bar, we went to see Split.


That was a good show and all, but when we got out of it, we had only about thirty minutes before Wendy's closed at 10:00, and we would have nowhere to write. We rushed over there, but didn't get enough time to do anything other than eat.

It was okay, though. we had a backup plan. The grocery store right by my house has a Starbucks in it, and up above the beer cooler is a loft seating area for those who get their coffee there. It's so out of sight in the grocery store that most people forget it's even there, so it's usually empty. But it had electric outlets for Rish to use his laptop with, so it would be perfect, and I was sure it was open until at least 11:00.

We set ourselves up, and started pecking away at our keyboards. When I knew we were getting close to out of time, I checked my word count...994. It was like yesterday, but the opposite. I had to at least type in six more words. I actually thought it would be fun to just come up with a six word sentence, and quit, just to hit the goal exactly on the nose one time. But I couldn't.

Instead I wrote another 207 words before the store manager came up and told us that they were closing and we needed to clear out.

It was a successful night, again. I lamented a bunch about what a lost opportunity it was that we never started this before...like eleven years ago when we first started our weekly hang out appointments, even before the podcast. Imagine what we'd have under our belt if we had! Rish just told me to shut up. There's no way to go back and change it, but we can keep doing it from here on. So, I guess that's what we'll do.

Rish started writing every day a few days ahead of me, so he's over fifty days in a row. It was only forty-eight for me last night, because February is shorter than most months. Couple more days and I'll have fifty in a row too. That'll be a cool milestone. But just a milestone, one that will disappear in the rear view mirror as I continue barreling down the highway on this journey that I swear I will not stop.


No comments: