Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Day 6 Of March

Last night was nearly the end of my whole adventure of consecutive nights of meeting my goal. I made it all the way through February, and through most of the first week of March, but our plans for the podcast nearly finished that streak off.

I met Rish for our usual get together, with one important misstep. I forgot my wireless keyboard at home. For some reason, I totally forgot about our (now) usual writing session at the bar in Wendy's. I think it was because I knew we would be going to see Logan and expected that maybe we wouldn't have time to write before the show. I don't know. I really have no excuse.


In the end, I probably wouldn't have gotten that much writing done, because we only had about twenty minutes from the time we finished eating to the time that we needed to be at the theater for the start of the film. I did write 61 words using my phone's onscreen keyboard. So, I did do some writing, but it was a far cry from the 1,000 words I was supposed to be hitting.

We left Wendy's and went to the movie, then did an episode of That Gets My Goat afterward to talk about it. Then, instead of hanging out and talking for a while like Rish and I usually do, I rushed off for home. If I was going to keep up my streak, I really needed to get going. That was a bit of a bummer, but also kind of good. It was friggin' cold out, so I might have saved both our lives by making sure we didn't stand around in the parking lot for a long period of time.

I got home at 1:30 AM, and I really didn't want to do the writing thing. 1,000 words takes a while to achieve. I can pump out 500 words relatively quickly, but 1,000? Did I have to? Maybe I could just do 2,000 the next day, and say I actually did them on separate days? Or maybe I could just call the day a wash. I did write, after all. I did 61 words already.

Ugh! Grr! I sat down and started writing. At least I could make an attempt. I wrote and wrote for a while, checking the word count every few minutes. I made it to 500 fairly quickly, and I wished that it was still February and that could mean I was done. I struggled further, and eventually I made it to 1,000. 1,060 to be exact, which means I wrote 999 words after getting home at 1:30 AM.

It sucked, but I did it. That builds character or something, right? I'm really trying to establish the habit of writing every day, so I'm still going with that. I think Stephen King said once that a person is what ever they do every day. A writer writes every day. So, I can still call myself a writer at this point.

Here's my chart:


Still going.

No comments: