Thursday, March 9, 2017

Day 8 Of March

Today, I tried my best to keep from needing to stay up late. I'm not sure why. I should have known better.

I wrote on my lunch break at work, and managed to get 450 words or so. That seemed like it would be a really positive development. But, my wife had a very important honey-do for me when I got home.

Our mailbox had been blown off its post in the windstorm we had a few days before. We'd gone several days without one, and I guess they gave her a notice saying that our mail was being held for us at the post office. The post office isn't close to us, and wouldn't be a simple errand to pick the stuff up. So, she wanted me to get the mailbox remounted tonight.

It wasn't really that hard, but I managed to make a few stupid errors (like leaving my wallet home when I went to the hardware store for a new mounting bracket) that made it take a lot longer than it should have.

On top of that, I didn't get any of the laundry done this weekend like I'm supposed to, and everyone was complaining that they had no clothes. I had to get things started at least, so people had stuff to wear tomorrow.

So, there goes my night. Even with a head start, I didn't finish my writing until midnight.

On the plus side, though, I wrote a record number of words for the year. Today's tally was 1,581, which beats my record from February of 1,573 by eight words. This was a triumph. I'm making a note here: huge success! It's hard to overstate my satisfaction.

So, I'm at 9,595 on the month. Just barely shy of half of my total for last month. That's pretty awesome, right?



And, I finished chapter eight of Sunny & Gray, putting me at 34,288 words. That's a lot of words. I don't know if I've ever written anything so long. I think there's only one possible story that might be longer. Hold on, I'm going to go check...oh, jeez, not even close. "Do Over" is 26,000 words. So, Sunny & Gray is now easily the longest thing I've ever written. That's pretty exciting. And it's still got a really, really long way to go. I probably won't finish it at this rate until June.

No comments: