Sunday, February 27, 2022

Futbol

I used to be such a crazy soccer fan before we moved out to Houston that they even put my picture on the tickets, program, and advertising.



I dedicated a huge amount of my time to making the game day experience amazing for myself and others. 

Back in 2007 or so, I remember talking with my wife about moving to a different city, and I insisted that we could only go to one with an MLS team. I said I'd be willing to move to Houston, because they had a really good supporters group.

Then, years down the line, we actually did move to Houston. We've been here almost five years, and I haven't even attended a single game. 

Well, I mentioned to my wife that my old team was playing Houston for their home opener, and she decided that tickets to that game would be a perfect Valentine's Day present.

I couldn't decide if I should go to the game as a Houston fan or wear my old stuff. I'd have to get some gear if I wanted to be a fan of Houston, and I suppose that's what decided me. My wife and I put on some of my old gear, and went to PNC Stadium as visiting fans for my first game in Houston.

I think I saw two other visiting fans in the whole place, and they were in opposite corner of the field from us. We were surrounded completely by orange. Back in 2008, I went to see a game in the Colorado Rapids stadium.

But I went with a whole bus load of fans that filled an entire section of the stadium, so there was no worries about feeling outnumbered. Here in Houston, it was totally different. It was just us, and I felt lonely there, for sure.

I decided that I would enjoy the game but if we did something good, I wouldn't get too crazy or rub it in anyone's face.

Didn't really matter much. The game was pretty unremarkable. My team didn't do much worth cheering about. Neither did Houston. Nobody really had any reason to get out of their chair. The game ended in a 0-0 tie. I guess the teams were still a little rusty from the off-season. I wonder how frequently the first game of year ends in a 0-0 tie. I bet it's a higher percentage than any other game of the year.

I still had fun. It was neat to go to another MLS venue. Now I've been to five different stadiums over the years (though one of them has been long retired).

We even got lucky and happened to be there on a day that they would be doing fireworks. We hung around for a while after the game ended, and they treated us to a fireworks show accompanied by some of the worst music that humans have ever created. Either that, or I'm just getting old.

I think I may need to head out to the sporting goods store and get me some Houston gear, and go back for some more games. Maybe my ten-year-old son would like to come with me next time. He's a soccer player now, he ought to dig it.

No comments: