Monday, July 15, 2024

Epic Heroes

Hasbro has a new line of figures called Epic Heroes...they started them with Marvel Characters like the X-Men, The Guardians of the Galaxy, and Spider-man. It's a four inch scale line of figures. I have a few of the figures, but not too many. They are the perfect size to add to my Ankletown Station collection, but only a few of the figures would work on a space station. There's not really a good reason for the Hulk or Cyclops to be on a space station...The Guardians of the Galaxy fit pretty well, though.

Now, recently, Hasbro decided to expand this line to some of the other properties that they manage. We now have four inch scale Star Wars figures! It's what we've all been waiting for, right? Never before have there been four inch scale Star Wars figures.

Well, I saw them on sale at Walmart this week...they weren't much on sale, but since it was a miserable week of going without power and all that that entails, I was looking for anything as a pick-me-up. So, I bought a few figures.

I got the Din Djarin...also known as The Mandalorian.

I didn't mention, but these figures are meant to be a sort of introductory level toy. They're supposed to be for kids that are just getting started in Star Wars toy buying. They cost less than the Vintage Collection figures, and they have substantially less articulation. These guys are back to the original five points of articulation of the figures from 1977.

I also got the Baby Yoda figure, who if you're a true Star Wars nerd like me you know is actually named Yaddle.

He's pretty basic, and could use a lot of blackwash to look a little more worthwhile, but he's just Baby Yoda, so I guess I'll do what I can.

Mando needs a little paint upgrade too, and someday I'll get around to actually doing that. Probably not before I build my first building though.

Maybe you didn't pick up on my sarcasm earlier, when I was talking about there finally being a four inch scale line of Star Wars figures, but in honesty, this is a scale that Star Wars figures have never been in before. The original figures were 3.75 inch scale. It's not much different, but it is different. 

Rish was complaining about it to me on the phone the other day, and it got me thinking about what difference there actually was. Was a quarter of an inch enough to really matter? So, after getting these guys, I grabbed one of my Vintage Collection figures and put it next to Din Djarin. Here you go:

It's not a huge difference, and the two are definitely passable as being in the same scale. If you put them in a diorama together, nobody would complain that they're out of scale, but Mando is bigger, both height-wise and width-wise. He's a lot thicker through the chest. The guy must be seriously ripped under that Beskar.

It works for me, though. I can use either one. The Vintage Collection are definitely preferable figures, because they are much more articulated, and can be put into believable poses, but the Epic Heroes are sometimes cheaper, so I won't turn them down either.

No comments: