Wednesday, July 10, 2024

Here I Am

Looks like Beryl rocked me like a hurricane.

That's the fence that closes in my backyard. It runs between the house and the garage, and the winds that Hurricane Beryl brought with her ripped it right out of the ground. The fence was old and in pretty bad shape, so I'm not too surprised, but we were limping along just fine with that fence, and now we're going to have to replace it, because our backyard is wide open now. It's one thing if you just have a lawn back there, and a complete other thing if you have a pool.

Monday when the winds weren't too bad, my wife and kids went out and partially disassembled it, and shoved all the boards that they could into the garage. Then, Tuesday morning, when I finally got to see what my house looked like in the daylight, I went out and disassembled it the rest of the way, dragging all the wood out to the front curb and piling it up. Eventually, the city will send a crew around to gather all the debris from our street. I don't know how long that will take. It can take months...especially after a huge citywide disaster like this one.

All the fences at our house are in need of fixing, and now after Beryl it's more pressing. The gate on the other side of the garage has been partially pulled off its hinges...the upper hinge is broken off there.

And there's this bit of fence in the back too. We've been propping up this sagging fence with a 2 x 4 for a while, and it stayed up, but it looks like the resistance of the 2 x 4 broke the top piece apart.

I guess it's time to get a the fence redone. No more waiting allowed, it seems. It's gonna be expensive though, and probably worse since its in the aftermath of a hurricane and hundreds upon hundreds of people are in need of them...hey, join my Patreon if you haven't already. I sure could use it.

No comments: