Tuesday, September 13, 2022

In On The Joke

I watch this YouTuber called Pat Finnerty every now and then. I say every now and then, because he does videos pretty rarely. I think that is mostly because his videos are so elaborate and well produced. I can't complain about the frequency when every single thing he puts out is such high quality.

Anyway, his videos are called "What Makes This Song Stink?" He jokes a lot about his show being a sort of anti-Rick Beato channel. Beato has nothing on Finnerty, however. That guy just sits in his studio and talks while playing along with some great song from the past. Finnerty goes all out in his videos, interviewing randos on the street, or the Blinds To Go Guy, or his neighbors like Lloyd.

Well, in August, he put out another "What Makes This Song Stink?" episode about Machine Gun Kelly's "Emo Girl" song. It was, as usual, a lot of fun, but then he took it up a notch, and launched into his plan to get in on the money that all of these shitty songs make by the truckloads.

I know it's a time investment, but I recommend you actually watch the video. It'll be worth it. Really fun.

It didn't work out for him, but that was the joke all along. However, that wasn't the end. A little while later, he gave us an update. Another time investment, but this one is even more worth it.

Oh my God, I can't remember having so much fun watching something stupid like a YouTube video before. And now I'm in on the joke. I went to the channel for the fake band, subscribed, hit the bell, watched the video, and found that I actually really liked this fake song.

I want the EP. I want a T-shirt for August Is Falling. I was really getting into this internet hoax. I guess maybe it felt good to be in on the joke, I don't know. I wanted something to come of this thing.

The comments on the video were hilarious, and there were 14,000 of them! Do yourself a favor, and go over there and read them. They remind me of the stuff Rish talked about on his Rish on Records about the Flaming Lips song "Do You Realize" (something you can only listen to if you are a member of his Patreon. I'd suggest you check it out. Rish is worth a buck a month, don't you think?). They are these hilariously earnest, heartfelt fake comments about how August Is Falling changed their lives, and I can't help but crack up at each and every one.

Well, I had to share this with my daughter, who really enjoyed the fun of the whole joke, and then, I figured I ought to share it with y'all as well. He has 100,000 followers, and I have maybe 100 (twenty of which read these blog posts if I grab them by the neck and rub their noses in it), but if even one person sees it and has fun from it, then it was worth it. Hope you check it out.

No comments: