Sunday, September 4, 2022

National Cinema Day

Yesterday was a pretty crazy day, as busy as it could have been, I worked outside, carried heavy things across a park, sweat like a dog, spent two hours in the heat trying to sell popcorn for the cub scouts outside of a grocery store, then got rained on by an absolute deluge while trying to carry those heavy things back across a park. To finish the day off, though, my wife bought tickets to see Top Gun: Maverick, because it was National Cinema Day.

I've never heard of National Cinema Day, and my guess is that it is a new thing that struggling movie theaters came up with in an attempt to get people to come back and watch movies again. It's a gimmick, and for the gimmick they offered everyone $3 tickets for any movie.

I edited a news story about it on Friday, but didn't even bother to mention it to my wife, because we don't go to movies anymore. We only work on the kitchen. She, however, saw a story about it somewhere else, and decided to get us tickets for yesterday evening.

It was a hellacious day, as busy as I can remember any weekend ever being, and truthfully, I would have preferred to just go home and go to bed and stay there for 48 hours, but I'm glad that I didn't. The movie was fun, and it was pretty nice to have a chance to blow off steam after an overfilled, draining, shitty day.

This may have been the best of all of those 40 years later sequels that nobody asked for, something that happens so often these days they could be considered a genre unto themselves. I was pretty happy with the show. So, a double success. I got out to a movie, and it was actually good.

A funny thing though, we bought four tickets at $3 but paid a total of $20. I think the movie theater jacked up their convenience fee to go with the lowering of the price. That's some nice eBay-like tactics on their part. Well played, Cinema Day. Well played.

No comments: