Wednesday, April 19, 2023

Stormy Weather

I kept going with the weathering. I guess it's going to be my theme for the week. Here's a few more ships that I updated with some wear and tear, starting with the XL-02. It used to look like this:


And here's its new look:

If nothing else, with the weathering it looks like it fits in with Star Wars ships better, since that universe is more known for being a lived-in universe. This ship isn't my favorite, but it looks a lot better than it did, I think.

Here's a side-by-side:

I also did the XL-15. Which once looked like this:


This one came with some partial weathering already. I guess it's supposed to be the post-hyperspeed flight of the ship. I just took it up a notch or two, making the ship even grungier.

It really toned down the burn marks with the dry-brushing. Not sure if that's better or not. I wouldn't have minded having them more prominent, but I can't put the toothpaste back in the tube now. I still love it.

Oh, did you notice that I clipped the blue backward-pointing things from the wings? I just didn't like them. They seemed like laser guns pointing in the wrong direction, so I snipped them.

Here's a side-by-side:


Lastly, since I had all the paints out and everything, I figured I'd try weathering one of my Star Wars ships. I got this X-Wing on sale at Walgreens. It used to look like this:

It already had it's own weathering as well, looking pretty dirty, or...as I've heard many people online describe it...like somebody spilled their coffee all over it. I took that and changed into the weathering that I've been doing on the Lightyear ships.


I need to find the R2-D2 that goes in the back. I'm not sure exactly what happened, but I think it fell out while it was in the box in my closet. I sure hope so. I hope I haven't lost Artoo.


Because it's a mostly-white ship, it's hard to see the silver paint, but it's got a bunch...maybe more than it should, since I had a hard time seeing it on there and kept putting more on. Here's a side-by-side:

I wonder if the lighting conditions were the same, how different they'd look. The all white ships are definitely harder to dry-brush, but they take the black wash a lot better. All in all, I think it looks good too.

Maybe I'll see if I can't throw together some pictures with the ships in action together in space. I'm not much of a Photoshop wiz, but I'll give it a shot. See you tomorrow with that, hopefully.

1 comment:

Rish Outfield said...

You and your weathering are 90% of why I bought a giant Millennium Falcon to make look dirty and used. Curse you.