Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Half-Marathon

This coming Saturday I'll be doing a marathon in a sort of half-assed way. I think I'll just quit at 13.1 miles instead. No, I'm just kidding. That's as far as I'm allowed to go for this race. It's the first step or maybe the halfway point in my training to run a marathon this September.

I'm pretty excited about it. It should be relatively easy. I've already run 13 miles before. It was our long run on a Saturday a few weeks back. So, I know I can do it.

I'm a wee bit afraid too, though. This week, I went out running, and the muscles in my calves and shins started freaking out less than two miles in. It hurt bad enough that I had to stop and walk a bunch of times. It felt as though the muscle down the front of my calf was somehow the only muscle I was using while running. As if I was doing some sort of isolation exercise or something.

It did it again this morning, but I pushed through it, and it pretty much went away. So, maybe I'll be fine after all. Just what I need though. A problem the very week of the race.

Anyway, I'll get on her and let you know how it went sometime next week. Maybe, although I doubt it, I'll even find time to write something up the day of the race. We'll see.

1 comment:

nuremon said...

Go easy. Doing a run-walk-run regimen is better than getting injured.