Thursday, September 20, 2018

Seems Legit

I was looking through the early Halloween offerings in the local Walmart this week, when I came across this costume:

I've never heard of a Fading Eyes Desert Dweller before. I'm not sure if it belongs to some kind of kid-centric TV property that I just don't care about, like Pokemon or The Mighty Morphin Power Rangers or The Human Centipede or Super Robot Monkey Team or something. Or maybe it just comes from real life. Before coming to Texas, I used to live in the high desert. None of my neighbors dressed like this...or had fading eyes. People had done their best to irrigate the place and mitigate the effects of the desert climate, though, so maybe that's why I've never seen anyone that looked like that there.

I just wish I knew what this costume was all about. It's so interesting. It looks like it could be part of a really popular space opera-type franchise. Like maybe John Carter of Mars or Flash Gordon might encounter these guys and have to fight to get his robots away from them or something. It could be really cool.

Am I just clueless? Does anyone know what franchise this costume comes from. If only it had the franchises name on the packaging, then I'd know, but instead it's completely generic like the Headless Horseman and the French Maid costumes that come from general culture or history or properties that have long passed into the public domain. Good thing there's no mega-corporation that wouldn't take kindly to its creation and sale in the United States.

No comments: