Thursday, November 11, 2010

NaNoWriMo Is A Go Go!

Like I said in my previous post, I wasn't able to do NaNoWriMo this month. Or at least, not the way they want me to do it from Nov. 1st to Nov. 30th. Instead, I had a shload of crap dropped on top of me to begin November. There was overtime at work, and stress and pressure to the point that my stomach hurt when I came home from work at night. I picked the wrong damn time to do this no sugar bet with my wife, because I was in some serious need of some comfort food, and comfort food is not comforting unless you can indulge whatever your craving may be that day (then again, you could say that I picked the right time, because I'd probably have gained back all the weight I lost on my last diet in one week's time if I hadn't).

Now, however, my overdose of stress has ended. The other guys at work get to deal with the rest of the crap, and I'm free. So, I could do a sort of NaNoWriMo of my own, just starting late and ending late. I was thinking that I might be able to change my future by participating in this event. I don't expect to produce a great book, but I do hope to produce a writing habit that could eventually lead me to some writing skill. Some of you had some encouraging comments to that effect, and today I read a blog post from Mary Robinette Kowal on the topic. She said that her debut novel, Shades of Milk and Honey, was written as a NaNoWriMo book. So there's even the possibility of producing something publishable (perhaps with a little post NaNoWriMo editing). Not likely on your first try--Kowal said she did NaNoWriMo three different times--but even that is possible.

I think I will start on November 15th and end on December 15th. I think I could probably keep with it that whole time. The only problem I foresee is the fact that we will be taking a vacation to Disneyland in the middle there, so it could trip me up, but we have a laptop that I can bring with me and type on wherever we may be, so I'm going for it anyway. The longer I wait to start, the longer I'll wait to ever get published by someone other than my own Audio Magazine.

1 comment:

Rish Outfield said...

You'll never nano your wrimo. Never! NEVER!

(end crone voice)