Sunday, September 27, 2020

Day 13 (75 Hard)

I fell asleep on the couch yesterday, and wound up staying awake very late as a result of that. So, this morning when I had to get up to get my son to school, I was pretty miserable. I planned on going back to bed after sending him to school to see if I could get another hour or two. 

However, all I did was lay in bed for thirty minutes, heading nowhere close to the land of nod. So, I gave up, dragged my tired ass out of bed, and went a walkin'.

Taking a walk on the greenbelt trails is always a pleasurable thing. The trails here are so nice, and it makes me happy to be out among all the trees and the squirrels and rabbits and cardinals and so forth. It's exactly what I was looking for when I started this. I wanted to get some happiness, some dopamine, from something other than candy, soda, and ice cream. I guess this means that this is a success so far.

My wife and son came with me today. Her shoes were back, along with her car, so she was willing to come along. We didn't make as good a time, because they walk a little slower than me. We found a great big turtle making its way along the canal and stopped to check it out as well. That was neat.

Here's my walking log:

I sat around most of the day today, running around to the local stores looking to see if they had any of the toys that I'm trying to collect right now and so forth. I talked with Rish on the phone the whole time I was looking, and it was almost as if we were out shopping together, which would be fun. We did that when I went to visit last summer, and it was pretty cool.

I didn't find anything worth getting until the very last store. Months ago, Hasbro announced that they were doing action figures based on the Fox X-Men movies, and they're finally trickling out into stores. 

I found the Hugh Jackman Wolverine figure, and had to grab one, even though I could probably get it for way cheaper if I waited for six months and got it on clearance. 


 

Ever since I started my toy show, I've become too impatient to wait for sales. It used to be what my toy collection was based on. Almost everything I had was bought on sale. Now, I pay full price like a chump for everything.

The worst thing was that I got home with my Wolverine, and showed him to my daughter, and she pointed out the screwed up paint job on his face to me. Look at his mutton chops on the left:

Sorry, the picture is way out of focus, but you can see the paint going all the way up on his lips, and even into his mouth. I was so irritated. I wished that I had seen it before I'd bought it and brought it all the way home.

But it was Sunday, so I had time. I got back in the car, drove all the way back to Walmart, returned the one I'd bought, and went and picked out a new one that doesn't have that problem.

Oh, the stupid things I'll do as a collector. I suppose toy collecting is the same mental disease as overeating, just focused on a different object of affection. I've been listening to a lot of minimalist podcasts and YouTube videos recently, and I feel like I really ought to apply some of those concepts to my life. How much better off would I bee if I had no debt, and only owned things that I actually used or at least found value in?

Does that mean that my toy collection would have to go? Not necessarily. If it brings me enough joy, then it's worth the money. Some of it might go, however. I think I have a lot of stuff that I only have just because it was cheap or whatever. I could probably rid myself of a lot of that.

I really need to finish my Wall of Voodoo first. That's what Rish named my planned wall of toys that I am building in my den. Right now I only have this small section done:


 Eventually, this entire bookshelf will look like that, instead being festooned with a jumble of junky looking toys as it is now:

I don't want to do any throwing out of toys until I see how the Wall of Voodoo looks first, you know, in case I need more toys to fill it. Problem is that it takes a lot of time to build all of those dividers, and these days, all of my spare time is taken up with my two hours of daily exercise and the writing of these blog posts.

Speaking of exercise, I still had to do my yoga. I finally got off my but, and did the downward dog...and no that's not a euphemism, as much as I wish it was. This is the downward dog, if you didn't know:

 

I also drank all my water, read my book, kept to my diet really well, and took the worthless progress picture. Someday, maybe those shirtless pictures of my fat gut spilling over my belt will be interesting to look back on and remember, although I suspect that having just on from the start and one from the end would be plenty. Whatever. 

Maybe I can make them into one of those videos you see how people change over time because of the daily pictures they took. I've seen some pretty cool ones of those. Like where a baby grows into a toddler right before your eyes.

Or, holy crap! This one where they have the girl from age zero to eighteen?

 

Dang, and I find taking a picture every day for 75 days to be difficult. Imagine the planning it must have taken for the eighteen year progression.

Anyway, I finished day thirteen. I'm almost done with the first two weeks. That's cool. Only something like eight and a half weeks to go.

No comments: