Tuesday, September 29, 2020

Day 15 (75 Hard)

Day fifteen is a Tuesday, which means it's weigh in day. Again, the disclaimer is that weight is not what I'm after here. I want health improvement and fat loss, so the weight is not the be all end all. Weight is just one indicator of that. 

I have a blood pressure machine, maybe I should start doing my blood pressure each week as well, although that's not really a good indicator either, as it can vary widely depending on the circumstances surrounding its measurement.

Anyway, moving on, here's last week's weight.

And this week?


 That's 5.1 pounds lost this week, and a total overall of 18.1. That's not too shabby. I think things are going pretty well. I guess I'll keep with it.

That was a joke. Of course I'll keep with it. That's the whole point. You have to keep with it even if the scale isn't giving you any encouragement. The weeks where there is no loss, or even a small negative movement, you still gotta keep with it. The number one key to it all is consistency.

After weighing in, I broke my fast with some bacon and eggs as usual. God, I love bacon and eggs. I'm so glad that I no longer believe the bullshit that most others believe about bacon and eggs being detrimental to your health but kale and quinoa being positives. Turns out that the universe isn't that sadistic after all.

I gave my stomach a minute to settle down, and get used to the food that I dumped on it after 39 hours of nothing, and then headed out on the trail. It's good to take a little time before moving too far away from a toilet, just in case. Sometimes my digestion doesn't like being woken up like that, and it's not good to be stranded too far away in times like those.

Today, my daughter needed a filling after her dental exam from last week. Luckily, our dentist's office is still basically in our neighborhood, so the trails were right nearby. I walked the trails by the dentist's office, while my daughter was getting her teeth drilled.

However, it took way less time than I expected. She says they didn't even numb her. They just had a small pit to fill or something like that. I don't know, sounds to me like another case of a dentist trying to fleece me. I've had my share of dentists that recommend that work be done on teeth that didn't actually need work just so they could collect more money. Maybe the dentist bought a boat recently, or something, and needed to make the payment.

Anyway, she called me after I'd only been walking for about fifteen minutes, and said she was ready to go, so I had to turn around and hurry back. I wound up walking the first thirty minutes on the trial by my dentist's office, then taking my daughter to school and dropping her off, and then finishing the walk by my house, so my walking log looks pretty crazy:

For some reason, getting on to the next exercise is always a struggle. After walking, I'd much rather sit around and do nothing than start yoga or weight lifting. So, a few hours later, I finally headed out to the garage, and got to lifting. This is me doing a thruster, which is like a squat and an military press combined into one movement.

It's supposed to be a pretty good full body workout, or at least it works a lot more than just one isolated muscle group.

 Because I waited so long to get to lifting, I didn't have a lot of time for dilly-dallying or grab-assing around. I jumped into the shower, and quickly headed off to work. After I'd been there for a few hours, I realized that I'd done it again. Just like last week, I'd forgotten to eat my second meal of the day.

It wasn't a big deal, because I wasn't hungry or anything, but I knew I couldn't fast for forty hours on one meal of bacon and eggs. I had to go out and get something. So, when dinner time arrived, I got in the car and drove over to McDonald's.

Last week, I'd decided to try Burger King, because the manager at McDonald's had made a comment that made it sound like I wouldn't be welcome if I came back there looking to order plain burger patties again. However, Burger King charged more for a plain patty than they did for the whole burger, so I picked a different nearby McDonald's to try out.

When I got up to the menu to order, I asked  how much they charge for plain quarterpound patties. The girl taking my order had to get the manager.

"You want a quarterpounder with no bun?" he asked.

"Yeah, just the hamburger patty," I replied.

"So, none of the toppings either? Just the hamburger patty?" he asked, a little incredulous.

"Yeah, how much will that cost?" I asked.

"The same as the regular quarterpounder," he said.

I didn't stick around. "Thanks," I said, and drove away without looking back. I don't understand what the deal is with the McDonald's restaurants around where I work. The ones by my house have been happy to accommodate me, and they even have a price for meat patties programmed into the register. It shows up on the screen for me whenever I order it. How can a restaurant that is supposed to be the same in Hong Kong as it is in Hoboken have such a problem with the same  order?

I decided to try Wendy's instead. Maybe they'd sell them to me for a good price. When I asked them how much a quarterpound patty costs, the manager there said, "a dollar and some cents."

He didn't know, because he surely doesn't get that kind of an order often. I asked for four of them, and they turned out to ring up for  99 cents. A great deal, and I will definitely be back there again if I forget to eat my lunch another time, though I hope it doesn't happen again.

Funny thing is, I didn't realize how hungry I was until I started digging in. I carry a baggy of salt with me in my work bag in case I need it, so I salted them down, and started chomping away, and oh my gosh were they amazing. They tasted like the best food I've ever eaten. As they say, "Hunger is the best sauce."

I fulfilled the rest of my requirements for the day, and made it through day 15 of #75Hard with flying colors. I'm like the Energizer Bunny, still going.

 
 
Damn, that first Energizer Bunny commercial was really good, wasn't it? I love the two fake commercials that the bunny interrupts afterward. Pretty clever.

No comments: