Wednesday, June 5, 2024

Audio Progress 6/5

On Wednesday morning, the time count toward finishing A Battalion of Ideas stood at this number:

I got up raring to go on the recording of "Chloey, Joey, Zoey, and David Bowie." I only had 2,500 words to read. It would be quick. Maybe I could even get started on "The Tenth Album" if I finished quickly. Of course, it wasn't to be. First thing in the morning, a lawn truck parked in front of my house, and the crew cranked the engines on their leafblowers, lawnmowers, and weedeaters. That was okay, because I still had to take my kid to his summer fitness camp he's attending at the high school. By the time I got home, however, the rain had started. My kid was going to come home a sodden mess, which would suck for him, but the rain made too much noise, which sucked for me. For an hour after the rain stopped, a particular spot right by my front door continued to splash down a steady stream of large loud rain drops.

It doesn't sound like much, I bet, but I checked, and it could be heard pattering away on the recording. Maybe it wouldn't have been so bad if I was talking over it the whole time, but I didn't want to run the risk of wasting effort by recording unusable audio, so I just waited for the rain to end. Besides, there were, even in the middle of a rain storm, lawn crews up the street running their leafblowers...as well as occasional thunder in the distance.

I did finally give in and start recording. The rain had ceased enough that the pitter-patter wasn't so loud, so I gave it a shot. After a few minutes, I started to notice the pitter-patter had picked back up. I went out and put a towel on the ground where the loudest noise was coming from in hopes of dampening the sound enough that it wouldn't show up on my recording. 

I finished the story, and took it to the editing suite. With headphones on, I found that the sound of the pitter-pattering water did not show up on the recording. The one time that the thunder boomed did, but that was only a momentary bother. The thing that made the most annoying sounds was my own stupid mouth. Lip smacking grossness that I spent plenty of time editing out.

I finished up chapters two and three, and uploaded them to Audible. Now, the book stands at this:

That was only about nineteen minutes added. But that's something. One more story done. I've finally reached what my goal for the end of May was supposed to be. Now it's time to move on into "The Tenth Album." That's my first official June story. I'm no longer playing catch up for unfinished work from last month. Let's see what I can manage...although, I suspect that tomorrow, I won't get anything. Got stuff going on in the morning that likely will prohibit my recording. We'll see.

No comments: