Friday, June 21, 2024

Wilykit

I'm almost there. Years ago, Super7 announced that they were going to take over Mattel's releases of The Thundercats. I think Mattel had put out only one wave of the figures and then given up. Super7 took over the license and pledged to be much more faithful with it. They re-released all the characters that Mattel had already put out, and then moved further into the line. 

It was exciting at first for me, because I'd missed the Mattel releases. I didn't have Lion-O or Panthro. The other collectors grumbled mightily about it. They just couldn't quit bitching about how Super7 wasn't doing anything new for them. I guess they'd probably been burned so many times by companies in the past never completing the team that they assumed this would just be more of the same.

Later we got Tygra and Cheetara, then after a big pause, they finally got around to Snarf as well. I was only committed to getting the main characters. I'd watched the show, and thought it pretty cool as a kid, but I hadn't caught every episode or anything like that. Most of the figures they were releasing were the things that only huge fans of Thundercats would want. I could skip all of those.

I kind of regretted committing to getting the whole original team though. The price just kept going up, and each figure that I got was less and less impressive. It would be one thing to pay $55 for Lion-O, but for Snarf? But now I'm committed. In for a penny, in for a pound. I had to get to the end.

This week, Wilykit finally arrived. Again, it's a really small figure. They didn't give us a discount for that fact. Isn't it interesting how toy companies do that. If they're doing a big figure, they always charge more, claiming they need to cover their costs for the excessive amounts of plastic, but they never charge less for the little ones.  

Considering how much it cost, I feel like I should have a lot to say about it, but I don't really. Wilykit was never a character that interested me much. Neither her nor Wilykat, who is still to come and will be the final piece of the puzzle. They were mostly just there in my perception. Also rans. But, if you commit to having them all...


It's pretty cool, as far as Wilykits go. comes with a surfboard that can peg into a jet blast to make it look like it's flying. I wonder if Kit Cloudkicker from Talespin was inspired by Wilykit in any way. They both rode on flying surfboards and both had the name Kit. Hmm...

She also comes with a rope to lasso folks with, I guess. I couldn't have told you that her weapon was a rope, but it seems pretty typical. You don't want your kid proxy running around with a gun, I suppose. Though that would make the most sense. It takes a lot of strength and skill to subdue someone using a lasso, but a gun takes the size advantage and makes it moot.

It came with more accessories.


Extra hands, an extra winking head, and a little version of the rope that can hang from her belt...at least it's supposed to. I couldn't for the life of me get it to peg into the hole. These things are neat, but I'm not into them. I guess a lot of people these days are toy photographers, and they want a bunch of different looks that they can use for their pictures on Instagram. I'd prefer a cheaper product with less accessories myself.

Well, here is how my Thundercats collection stands:


I'm almost there. I just need Wilykat, who is supposedly coming pretty soon. You never can tell with these damned pre-orders, but I got an email from BigBadToyStore the other day saying that the preorders were imminent. We'll see if that's true. I wonder if I can fit them all in this spot or if I'll have to move them to a larger cubby hole. I think I could probably get one more little guy like Wilykit in there without having to go to a bigger spot. We'll see. I'll show it off in the final Thundercats blogpost when Wilykat finally arrives. See you then.

No comments: