Friday, June 28, 2024

The Good Old Days

This came up in my YouTube feed today, but it's 11 years old. I thought it would be fun to post it to remind everyone of the good old days, the time back when the Star Wars fans bitched about the same things that I bitch about and the prequels were what everyone hated the most. And, of course, y'all miss this song, don't you? You know you do.

I don't even watch Star Wars anymore. Sometimes I wonder if I can still consider myself a fan. I only like the first three films...of an eleven film (and many TV show) franchise. That's like 25% or something. Can someone who only like 25% of something say they're a fan of it? I guess maybe I could go as high as 30%, because The Mandalorian had its moments over the years.

Rish and I often laugh about today's critics of Star Wars, because they complain that the stuff doesn't keep with the lore of the prequel trilogy. They say that this broke Star Wars or that broke Star Wars because it ignored the way things have always been. These people seem to be oblivious to the fact that things weren't always that way, and before Disney broke Star Wars, George Lucas had already broken it with various things that didn't coincide with the earlier films' lore. Star Wars has been creatively bankrupt since Cindel Towani first strode onscreen in 1984. Nothing has changed since then.

I remember back when Disney bought up Star Wars, and Rish and I did an episode of That Gets My Goat about the prospects, I wasn't super excited, but I did say that it couldn't get any worse, so why the hell not? I think people today would try to tell me that I was wrong, and that it did get worse, but I would have to contradict that assessment. None of the Disney productions are any worse than the prequels were. Sadly, they're also not any better.  It's just more of the same.

I hope you're enjoying The Acolyte, all you Star Wars fans. I guess I can't count myself among you. At best, I can call myself an Original Trilogy fan. I don't suspect I'll watch any of The Acolyte myself. I'm not interested at all anymore. At least I can still collect toys from those original movies. They still make plenty of those.

No comments: