Thursday, April 10, 2014

Weigh In Day #9

Three weeks ago I weighed:


two weeks ago I weighed:


And last week, I weighed:


And yesterday, I weighed:



Now, maybe I'm just an ungrateful bastard, actually probably I'm an ungrateful bastard, but for four weeks in a row, I've gone basically nowhere. I should be happy though, right? After all, 262.6 is my best weigh-in yet, right? I'm down 1.4 lbs. from last week, right? Unfortunately, I'm only down 1.0 lbs. from a month ago. I'm friggin' stuck in place. I've done nothing but hover at 263 for a whole month.

This wouldn't be such a damn pisser if I was, you know, eating whatever I liked, and having a normal life. But no. I'm eating a lot of nothing. Not splurging on what I'd like to, going a whole week 100% without sugar and carbs, and accomplishing nothing from it. It's pretty frustrating to say the least.

Yesterday, after getting that same old news from the scale that I've been getting every week, I went off the rails. I said, "if it does me no good, then eff it!" And I ate all that stuff that I had to forsake for the week before. I had the breakfast quiche that had tater tots as its crust. I love tater tots and hash browns, and when everyone else had them for breakfast on Sunday morning, I was a little sad to be left out. But there was leftovers, so I ate them, and ate them with gusto!

And I had some of the cookies that have been taunting me in the pantry all week, some more of the chocolate that I'd not eaten Monday morning once I was allowed to eat sugar again. And when everyone else had pizza for dinner that night, I friggin' ate some too. And eff it!

Yes, I was being a petulant child, but check this out. This morning, I weighed myself. Granted, it was after I had eaten breakfast and drank a bunch of water, but you know what the damned scale said? It said I weighed 268. 268! I struggled for a month to lose one freakin' pound, but in a day of eating what I like, I gained nearly six pounds somehow? I'm going to have to call bullshit. WTF? How is the deck so freakin' stacked against me? How can it be possible that it is so hard to take weight off, and so unbelievably easy to put it on?

The weight loss regimen that I'm using has worked for me in the past, but it doesn't seem to be yielding much fruit for me anymore. I lost fifteen pounds, but it's been a month now since I lost anything. I suppose I must be doing something wrong. I need to step back and look at my method, my calories, and so forth. I wonder if the lack of carbs might be lowering my metabolism and preventing me from losing weight. I've heard that's possible. We'll see, I guess.

For now, I've just got to get my bad attitude back in check. Just writing this post pissed me off and put me in a bad mood. Bad moods mean splurging and gaining weight though, so I've got to get back to the positive outlook I once had a month and a half ago.

How about everyone else? Any progress?

3 comments:

Jeremy said...

My weight loss is going badly, can't stop snacking.

It does sound like you've hit a plateau through going into low calorie starvation mode. Have you noticed you're low on energy or feeling cold?

I'd really recommend the fat2fit podcast. It's scientifically sound and well presented. It has gone through pod fade but there is a lot of episodes.

Tena said...

I think Jeremy may be right about your plateau. (Also, welcome back, Jeremy, don't give up!) I'll also have to check that podcast. The plateau thing is so, so frustrating. Have you started running again, Bigg? And I imagine that a decent amount of the "gain" you saw after binging was probably water retention. You might also need to drink more water, I find that when I stay hydrated to the level I should I lose weight more consistently.

I've lost 1 pound from last Wednesday to today, bringing my total loss to 8 pounds, 5.37%. My progress is slow but seems to be pretty steady. I also hit 75 miles (of my goal 300) run/walked (mostly walked...) and that was a pretty great feeling. I'm working a bit more on toning and strength training too, but just found out that because my abdominal muscles are still separated from my pregnancies (3 and 7 years ago...) I am making things worse by doing crunches and "traditional" ab work, so I have to work on repairing that before I can do much more in that area. I feel like an idiot for trying for literally years to do crunches and strengthen my core, when this whole time I've been making the separation worse or at least not any better. I hope to have that totally healed/closed/whatever by June, but I have no idea how long it will realistically take. I did find a bunch of exercises that are specific to fixing the diastasis recti (the muscle separation).

Jason said...

Think your scale is off? Maybe get something solid and stable and weigh it every day/week for a wile and see if changes as well?