Thursday, June 2, 2022

Mantis

Maybe a month ago, I saw the Halo Mantis at the store for the first time. 

I had to admit that it was totally rad, but it also cost $40, so I wasn't even thinking about buying it. I would hang on until it showed up at Ross. Maybe then I would be able to afford it.

That time actually came sooner than I expected. These Mantis toys got clearanced at Target way early. I went in the other day and found it marked down to $19.99.


 I was pretty sure that I wouldn't see it that cheap even when it showed up at Ross. So, I pulled the trigger and bought it up.

I didn't expect to be proven right so quickly, but the very next day, I was in Ross, and the Mantis had suddenly shown up there too. They wanted $29.99.

So, I actually pulled one off this time. I got it for $10 cheaper than Ross, and that's a pretty big accomplishment, because Ross is almost always the cheapest for toys...if it does actually arrive at that store. 

Although, recently, I've found that they have been skimpier with their markdowns. They used to be closer to 50% off on everything, but these days it's becoming more the norm to only get 25% off. I guess even Ross succumbs to inflation.

The Mantis is a really cool toy.

President Government and his brute squad are really going to enjoy using this walker to inflict oppression on all of his subjects. The Mantis came with a pilot, the Spartan EVA.

Not a bad figure, and he should fit in really good with the rest of the brute squad.

Of course he needs to get all gunked up like Walrus Man there. So does Lebron. These brutes need to look more brutish if they want to fit in on the brute squad.

The figure can sit inside the Mantis to drive it around, stomping on the townspeople, and putting down their rebellions.

Probably never put him in there, though, because you can't see if anyone is in there or not when the cockpit is closed.

It's a really cool toy, and pretty big too. Just for kicks, I put it next to my imperial scout walker to compare them.

The Mantis can stand up a fair amount taller than this, so it could actually be taller, but in general, they are about the same size. The Mantis is, however, much more stable than the scout walker. It was hella difficult to get that damn scout walker to stand up for the picture after I moved it from its spot on my shelves, but the Mantis was no biggie at all. It could stand in several less stable positions than the one you see there.

I still like the scout walker better for sentimental reasons though.

There was a second Mantis on the shelf at Target, and maybe I should have bought it. I saw a YouTube video where a guy turned the Mantis into a mech walker for six inch GI Joe Classified figures, and I thought that was pretty cool.

I probably won't do that, because I collect GI Joe Classified to get six inch versions of classic figures I loved as a kid. GI Joe didn't drive mech walkers when I was a kid, so I don't really need them driving them now.

I did really dig the paint job he put on the walker in that video though. I may consider painting mine up. It doesn't have to be desert khaki. It might be better in other colors. We'll have to see.

No comments: