Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Spin Out

For the last few weeks since we came back from vacation, we've gotten nothing but rain here. Balmy weather for winter, at least for us. This isn't Sacramento anymore, it doesn't rain at Christmas time.

But now the snow is back in town. It came back in earnest last night. I'm working the early morning shift this week, so I headed out to my car at 2:30 a.m. to find it practically buried in snow. It was probably a foot high on the hood and roof. I took a few minutes to brush it all off, and then headed out.

At 2:30 in the morning, the plows haven't really had time to get out and clear all the roads yet. So for the most part those roads were a foot deep in snow, with only the trails of the cars that had come before you to indicate where the road even was.


Early on in my drive to work, I was wending my way along a lonely Freeway, when I felt the tail end of my car sliding out from behind me. I know what to do in that case, so I turned into the spin, and my car straightened back out, but it wasn't done with me. Immediately, my tail end spun in the other direction. This time I was unable to keep control of the car, and I was whirling along the road like a pinwheel in the wind.

When I finally came to rest, I was sitting sideways in the road, but otherwise, I was fine. I hadn't hit anything, and no one had hit me. I cranked the wheel, pressed the gas, and soon had my car righted. I proceeded on my way to work, happy that things weren't any worse than they'd been. Luckily for me, I was on a big three lane wide road that was completely empty of traffic. There was simply nothing to hit.

I have to count my blessings, because yesterday, a group of people had the same problem that I did. They spun out on the highway, losing control of their car. Only the highway they were driving on was a busy highway. A truck that was following close behind them broadsided their car, and just for good measure, one other car got in on the action as well. Three of the four people in that first car were killed on impact, and the fourth is critically injured in the hospital. I never thought I would consider having to be at work at 3:00 a.m. a blessing, but today, it sure turned out to be one.

No comments: