Thursday, April 4, 2019

Bring May Flowers

Back in 2010, my wife decided we should plant sunflowers in our front yard. I didn't care. I was never super into landscaping. I've always been nothing more than the grunt when it comes to landscaping. I'm always the shlub pushing the lawnmower or pulling the weeds, and never the one making the decisions, so hearing the word landscaping, or planting, or gardening always brings thoughts of hours of thankless work to my mind. I can't say why, but the sunflowers changed that for me.


Man, I loved those things. We grew them again the next year, partially on my behest. I wanted them again.


I really love the things. I loved how tall they were. I loved how big and impressive they were. I loved taking pictures of them. It may also have been due to the sheer size of the things.


In 2017, though, we moved to Houston, and arrived there in the middle of the summer. It was way too late to plant anything. Then again, last year, I forgot to plant some sunflowers until really late in the year. Nothing came of the seeds that I ran out to the backyard and stuffed in the ground at the last minute. The seeds may have just been crappy and cheap, unlikely to actually sprout, or they may have sprouted only to be burned to death immediately by the scorching Texas sun. I don't know. What I do know is that it's been several years since I've had any sunflowers in my yard...in my life.

But it's a new year...It's a new dawn. It's a new day. It's a new life for me, and I'm feeling good.



We bought some new seeds from the store the other day. My wife was buying vegetables and the like, but I saw the sunflowers, and bought several different kinds. I even managed to get my youngest daughter to come outside of her own free will and help me plant them. She's invested enough in them because of that, that she went out and watered them all on her own. She wants to have some plants that she can call her own, I guess. There's nothing like having a stake in something to get you to care.

It's been ten days since we put those seeds in the ground, and sprouts are popping up all over the yard!


We're gonna have so many sunflowers this year. It's gonna be awesome.

You can expect some follow-ups to this post, with progress reports of my plants...I hope. I hope they don't inexplicably die off on me or something. I'll try to keep them watered...or make sure my daughter keeps them watered anyway. Heh heh.

I suppose all those sunflowers should inspire me to get the Sunny & Gray saga written too.

2 comments:

Tena said...

Yay!! Sunflowers are amazing. We have one spot on the southeast side of the house where they seem to thrive.

Big Anklevich said...

We'll have to see where mine thrive. At our old house, they seemed to thrive everywhere. We even had a sunflower bloom and grow from a seed that fell out of our birdfeeder. Here...we've got a lot more shade than we did at our old house.