Wednesday, April 12, 2023

More Flowers

A few weeks ago, I talked about the zinnias that had reseeded themselves and were growing up through the rocks in our backyard. We've had pretty poor luck with flowers over the years here, but the zinnias that my wife planted last year did so well, and even came back again on their own. This gave me an idea.

You see, we have this mailbox...

Everybody in the neighborhood has the same mailbox. It's all brick with that planter box on the side. Some people have planted bushes that grow out of there or roses, you know, stuff like that. We...well, we've always just had dirt and a few weeds in that stupid planter. 

One year I tried to plant teddy bear sunflowers in it, but they died off before they ever even managed to make flowers. That's the closest I ever got to getting anything worth looking at in that silly square of dirt. This time, it's gonna be different though. I'm determined.

Since those zinnias did so well, that's what I'm planting. On top of that, I made an alarm on my phone to remind me to take the watering can out and give those flowers some love each and every day.

It's going well so far. I planted the seeds about a week ago, and here's how it looks:


That's a lot of little sprouts. I'm pretty excited to see so many.  I haven't even had to water for the last few days because we've gotten so much rain, but my alarm has gone off, and I've gone out and checked each and every day just in case. I'm going to win this time. It's going to look nice for the first time ever. It will be so cool a few weeks from now when it looks like this:

No comments: