Monday, April 10, 2023

Squadron Of Twelve?

I posted a little while back about my growing collection of Lightyear spaceships. It had made it to eight, and I was despairing as to whether I would ever find the last four on sale anywhere. These were the last four ships, the XL-04:

The XL-05:

The XL-08:

And the XL-10:

They're alright, but most of them aren't amazing. The only one I really want is the XL-08, because it actually looks different than the rest. Although I kind of want the XL-04 just so that I can have Buzz in Boba Fett's outfit. 

I was vexed, however, to see just how hard it was to find anyone that was offering them for sale. The only place I could find that had the XL-08 listed for sale was Entertainment Earth, and they still wanted full price plus shipping for the thing. There was no way I was going to pay that.

Then I actually looked a little closer at Entertainment Earth's listing, and I realized finally what the problem was.


I was just looking at the price and frowning, and moving on, but I should have looked at that great big green bar going across the screen. This was just a pre-order. The toy wasn't even scheduled to come out until June 2023 according to the website.

It's time to kiss this ship goodbye. There's no way I will ever be able to buy it, because there's no way it will ever come out. I'm sure Mattel has already canceled these things. 

This last wave of four ships is never going to hit stores, because the movie tanked, and nobody is buying the toys. The rest of them are already showing up at Ross for $5. They're not going to be throwing bad money after good to produce another shitload of ships that nobody (but me) wants to buy. So, it looks like I've got myself the full collection.

I'm kind of sad to see that the XL-08 will never be mine, because I really like its design, but I guess I'll just have to make do with what I've got and call it good. Maybe I should start trying to gussy the ones I have up with some weathering and see how they look after that. I searched online and found some pictures that one guy took of the XL-07 after getting the weathering treatment that looks frigging amazing:



And another guy did a really sweet weathering and upgraded paint job for the XL-01:


I hope mine can look as good when I'm done with them. The Valkyries will be so proud to fly these ships around in Ankletown Station.

No comments: