Tuesday, October 13, 2020

Day 27 (75 Hard)

Today, I didn't want to have the same trouble that I had yesterday with the late workouts. So, I got out the door first thing in the morning, and walked my 45 minutes.

 
Notice the time on my log is better than yesterday, since I got to walk in the morning.
 
 

While I was out walking around, I came across the bridge that I usually cross, and found that we had ourselves an adventurous little turtle that had gone walkabout.

I decided to go down and get a closer look at him, to take a few pictures, and he did what turtles are known for, sucking back inside of his shell as far as he could. So, I stood there for a long time, to see if he would give up waiting for me to attack, and come back out of his shell.

He very slowly emerged.

Then he got adventurous enough to start moving again. I switched over to video, and took some of that too.


I really like turtles a lot. My brother had a couple of them as pets when I was a kid, and I just thought it was so neat to see them swimming around, chomping on goldfish. I find the wild ones here in Houston to be equally amazing. I've always found it kind of midboggling that turtles can survive in the wild, frankly, but here they are, proving to me that it is possible. 

There would be more turtles before the day ended, but first, I went home and did my yoga. This is me doing tree pose. I suck at this. Balancing on one foot is not easy for me. I'm endlessly tipping over.

After yoga, I was talking with my wife about how I do yoga two days in a row on Sunday and Monday. I do weight lifting three days a week, and I do yoga three days a week, but since there's seven days a week, I have to do something on Sunday. She suggested that I ought to try to fix my bike, and maybe I could do biking on Sundays.

That seemed like a good idea. I'd finally found tires at the bike section of the store a few weeks back, and bought inner tubes and new pedals for my bike, because all of them were shot. I'd left my bike in this state of disrepair since before we moved to Texas, but now was the time to change that.

I started working on it, and at that moment, Rish called me to chat. So, I put on my headset, and talking with him as I worked on it. I'm not particularly mechanically inclined, so I don't do very well with tasks like this, but somehow, with only small and surmountable setbacks, I managed to change both inner tubes as well as both pedals. By the time I was done talking with Rish, I was ready to go for a bike ride.

My son learned to ride his bike after we moved, so he's never been on a bike ride with me. He's always had to go with his sisters on the one bike (other than his) that was in good repair. He was excited to hear that my bike was fixed, and wanted to go for a ride right away.

I had to make him wait until I finished eating my meal for the day, and then we got out the door and started pedaling away.

It was a lot of fun. We rode through the same trails that I walk on each day, but were able to go much further due to our extra speed. We wound up at a bridge that I found on the map called Turtle Bridge II. I guess it was a sequel, I don't know.

Here's a video I shot at the bridge.

We stood there looking at the turtles and fish for just a little while, then started back the way we came. I didn't use my running app that tracks your distance, but when we got home, I got online and and checked the distance on Google Maps. It said we did six miles round trip. I'm pretty sure that was true, because the pain in my butt from the bike seat attested to it.

The rest of the day I was tired from all the exercise I did, but I still managed to get in the water drinking and reading and picture taking. One extra thing I did today was take a bath with Epsom salts in the water. That's supposed to help give you magnesium, so I thought it was worth giving it a shot.

We'll see how I feel tomorrow. Maybe I'll start doing it all the time.

No comments: